Readings and Projects
1. Bible Study. Read Genesis 1:1-2:3, Exodus 20:8-11, and Leviticus 25:1-23 with these questions in mind:
- How does God model (Gen. & Exodus) or set up regulations (Exodus & Lev.) to help people remember the difference between who they are and what they do?
- What measurements of time are set in place for people to stop and remember the difference between who we are and what we do? By the way, you’ll find good summaries of this in Doug Samples’ resource on pages 3-5, but for now, discover it for yourself in these Scripture passages.
2. Webpage. Go to the following webpage & consider bookmarking this page for future reference. Are you aware of any retreat centers or vacation homes not on this list that are available for ministers (if so, let me know)? https://shepherdsfoldministries.com/retreat-centers/
3. Resource. Download and Read this resource: https://tinyurl.com/SabbathResource
Remember, you are free to use this resource any way you’d like, to cut and paste portions of it, share it however you’d like, etc. Special thanks to Doug Samples for making this available.
3. Podcast. Listen to this 11 minute podcast: https://tinyurl.com/DougSamplesInterview
4. Project. Set up a plan for “sabbaths” daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually, and every seven years. Begin the daily and weekly patterns by keeping a daily journal charting God’s spiritual victories and your points of gratitude in your life and ministry placement. At the end of each week of journaling, reflect on your feelings toward the work God is doing through your ministry efforts. Does journaling your gratitude and the spiritual victories impact your feelings toward your ministry efforts? Bring your thoughts and ideas to the closing meeting.